The desire to achieve an education of excellence in the health area leads many candidates to choose the Bahiana, an institution that values the quality of undergraduate and graduate education, research and extension.
The realization of the dream of being part of this traditional institution is in tune with its academic practices and with its Institutional Pedagogical Project, which is a reference among higher education institutions.
The project was developed based on institutional self-assessment and external assessment. It includes the design of the courses, the course objectives and the graduate's profile, in addition to didactic and methodological resources.
Its guidelines are in line with the Institutional Development Project, which guides the Pedagogical Course Projects, which, in turn, follow the National Curriculum Guidelines for the health area and those specific to each course. An entire commitment to teaching quality.
The role of Bahiana it is to train qualified health professionals, capable of meeting the needs of the population, defenders of SUS principles, imbued with ethical and humanistic values, extending to the community the benefits of knowledge acquisition and production.
The constant reflection on the curricula of the courses is guaranteed by the performance of the Teacher-Structuring Nucleus, in line with the representations of teachers and students of the Grade Councils, the Curriculum Integration Councils, as well as institutional assessments.
A Bahiana considers that the teaching-learning process is aimed at transforming the social order – with the school as the agent of change; and man, the subject of education. Despite being complex, this commitment represents a process in constant evolution, always directed to the needs of society, based on the development of cognitive, affective and psychomotor skills.
The teaching methodology adopted aims to stimulate debates, the analysis of problems, social movements, and the exchange of experiences. In this scenario, the teacher and the student need to be engaged in a transforming practice, as the assessment is understood as a continuous, participatory and collective process.
Such assumptions are expressed in the Pedagogical Projects of the courses at Bahiana, built from an interdisciplinary work developed by the school, with a guarantee of constant adequacy and curriculum renewal. Its main elements are:
• knowledge and knowledge considered necessary for the formation of competences established from the graduate's profile;
• curriculum structure and content;
• basic and complementary bibliographies;
• teaching strategies;
• material resources;
• administrative services, laboratory services and infrastructure to support the full functioning of the course.
• train health professionals centered on values, attitudes, skills and abilities with an emphasis on ethical, humanitarian and democratic principles to meet the health needs of society.
• Assume interactive pedagogy as support for the collective reconstruction work of the course curriculum.
• Rethinking the educational-pedagogical practice of the School, in light of contemporary changes.
• Commit to the quality of training consistent with the demands of sociocultural reality.
• Reflect on the social role of health professionals, in favor of consolidating SUS principles and guidelines.
A Bahiana is proud of the legacy it has achieved over more than 69 years of history, with excellence in professional training based on the development of technical, humanistic and social skills and abilities.
What to expect from the graduate:
• Behavior and posture guided by ethical, humanitarian and democratic values, evidenced by solidary attitudes at all times and professional procedures.
• Sense of social and professional responsibility in everyday actions and decisions.
• Respect and commitment to life, technical-scientific and technological training/instrumentalization.
• Technical capacity to carry out team actions that enable competent professional actions in different areas of health.
• Ability to understand the conceptual dimension of a globalized economy and its role in the relations of this economy.
To achieve these goals, all teachers and coordinators involved in the teaching-learning process must be aware of the Curriculum Guidelines (CNE/MEC), so that professionals are trained to work in different scenarios in the health area, in the public and private sectors , aware of their responsibilities and social commitment.
Didactic and methodological resources
A Bahiana it adopts an essentially interactive methodology, since it encourages the individual's intellectual autonomy. For the institution, the human being is active and endowed with social relationships, a profile that challenges the teaching practice to a mediating posture in the teaching-learning process.
The mediated self-learning process brings important advantages, as it encourages self-determination, initiative, respect for all, cooperation and solidarity, through education to understand the world, the other and oneself.
For this purpose, active methodologies are used, among which the following stand out:
• ABP (Problem Based Learning);
• TBL (Team Based Learning);
• Inverted classroom;
• Realistic simulation;
• Practical field activities and teaching laboratories;
• Interprofessional actions;
• Structured clinical assessments (OSCE);
• Clinical Mini-Assessment (MiniCex).
The central element of the teaching offered by Bahiana it is based on the problematization and contextualization of training practices, which guarantees the student the development of a critical and practical sense throughout their training, resulting in greater motivation for learning, encouraging the development of clinical reasoning, teamwork and the development of self-learning skills.
Other elements that also guide the educational project are:
The Virtual Learning Environment of Bahiana (AVA), a platform used for the development of digital education activities, allows the curricular components of the various courses, both undergraduate and graduate and extension courses, to benefit from a series of resources accessed through the platform.
Virtual laboratories, distance practical classes, video classes, videoconferences, telepresence activities, tasks and varied assessments, realistic simulations with actors and mannequins, different software and platforms provide countless learning possibilities, using the most modern resources, both in person and at a distance.
Students and teachers also have a virtual library and remote access to CAPES Periodicals. Such as Bahiana is part of RUTE – Telemedicine Network, students and professors also participate in Special Interest Groups (SIGs), in connection with several hospitals and research centers in Brazil.