The project Face Shield for Life 3D reached the mark of 4.038 units delivered to the Department of Health of the State of Bahia (SESAB). Thus, the action, which started on March 21, 2020, ended on April 27, 2020 when it reached the goal of 4 thousand manufactured and distributed units. The project's objective was to contribute to the containment of coronavirus infection and to promote the treatment of infected people, through the production of individual protection masks for health professionals. The masks were produced with 3D printers, and the inputs for the manufacture were acquired via voluntary donation from society.
The initiative was organized by teachers, researchers and volunteers from the Escola Bahiana de Medicina e Saúde Pública, State University of Bahia (UNEB), Federal University of Western Bahia (UFOB), Federal Institute of Bahia (IFBA), NGO Instituto PEPO, Mini Maker Lab, Youth Center for Science and Culture (CJCC), Coruja Lab and da ALGETEC company – Engineering Solutions.
"From a request from the teacher at Bahiana Ana Verônica Mascarenhas, who is also a doctor at Couto Maia, for the production of 21 individual protection masks, we started the project in partnership with other institutions”, explains one of the project's coordinators, the dean of Research, Innovation and Post- Stricto Sensu Graduation Bahiana, prof. Dr. Atson Souza Fernandes. In addition to prof. Atson Fernandes, researchers Leandro Brito Santos (UFOB) and Eduardo Manuel de Freitas Jorge (UNEB) participated in the management committee, who were also part of the production committee alongside Elton Borges de Sena Barreto from the CJCC, Leandro Brito Santos (UFOB) and Peterson Albuquerque Lobato from the Mini Maker Lab.
Professor Atson also says that it was necessary to set up a fundraising campaign: “With the campaign, we raised R$60 and structured an assembly, disinfection and packaging center at the Bahiana. The pieces made using the 3D printer were sent to SESAB, which made the distribution in hospitals in the State of Bahia. Thus, the work was intense. But, we concluded with success and reached the expected goal, which was to manufacture four thousand units”, concludes the dean.